We’ll start with a conversation to discuss your hair loss situation. This can be via phone, email, WhatsApp, or social media, depending on what’s most comfortable for you. We will need to see your hair loss, which can be achieved by sending photos via any of our available platforms (text, Facebook/Instagram messenger, WhatsApp, Email), or we can arrange a video call or face to face consultation. From this, we can determine the best solution for you, whether it is ‘the shaved look’, camouflage thinning hair or bald spots, or to cover scars.
During the consultation, our practitioner Grant will discuss the full treatment process with you and answer any questions you may have. Grant’s been through the treatment himself, so if he doesn’t know the answers, no one will!
Grant is also certified to check your scalp for signs of skin cancer and will carry out this free assessment as part of your consultation (if in person) or before your treatment begins. If he identifies a potential problem, you will be advised to visit your GP before continuing.
Once you’re happy with our suggested treatment plan, we’ll book you in for your treatment sessions. You’ll typically need 2-4 sessions, with the average being 3. These are scheduled 10-21 days apart for the best results.
If you are thinking of the ‘shaved look’, in the upcoming week prior to your appointment, we recommend that you keep your scalp moisturised and shave your hair with clippers or a foil razor to allow the air access to your scalp. On the day of your treatment you should wash your hair to remove any product and where possible shave your head. Alternatively, we can shave your head for you; this will be discussed in your free consultation.
If you are having the treatment to correct the density of your scalp to make your hair look fuller and thicker, we require you to wash your hair on the day of the treatment to remove any product build up. By washing your hair, we can match the pigment to the tone of your hair colour correctly.
- Do not drink alcohol for at least 24hrs prior to the day of your treatment. This will thin your blood causing irritation to your scalp during your treatment, ultimately affecting the desired effect of your treatment.
- No high stimulant drinks on the day prior to your treatment such as, ‘pre workout drinks’ normally used for exercising. This can make you excessively sweat and increase the sensitivity of your scalp, affecting the results of your treatment.
- Avoid exposing your scalp to the sun for long periods 3 days prior to your treatment. This can cause sun burn and increase the sensitivity of your scalp, affecting the results of your treatment.
- Avoid sunbeds 3 days prior to your treatment. This can cause your scalp to become more sensitive, affecting the results of your treatment.
- Avoid taking blood thinning medication such as aspirin 24hrs prior to your treatment unless this is part of your prescribed medication.
- Lightly moisturise your scalp every day 7 days prior to your treatment (if you’re aiming for the buzz cut treatment). This will cause the scalp to become soft and less dry, making the treatment easier for our technician and yourself.
- Eat prior to your treatment. This will increase your energy levels, making you feel more comfortable throughout the treatment session.
- Stay hydrated. This will increase your energy levels, making you feel more comfortable throughout your treatment.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Bring a cap or silk hat (optional) as straight after your treatment your scalp will look red and agitated so on your travels you might want to cover your scalp.
At ScalPerfection, we believe our clients deserve the best and we aim to deliver SMP treatment to the highest level possible. Usually, you’ll require a total of three sessions, over a period of one month for the detail of the treatment to have the desired effect. Depending on the amount of hair loss and healing outcome, some clients may need to return for a fourth session. This can be due to your immune system rejecting the pigment, or not following the aftercare guidelines correctly.
In your first session we’ll lay out your hairline (if required) and begin applying small dots of ink irregularly to achieve a natural look. The colour of the ink is matched as closely as possible to your natural follicles and a gradient is used to blend in at the edges.
The second treatment is 10 days after your first treatment and the third is three weeks after your second treatment. A session can vary between 2 – 6 hours depending on the client and the end result they are looking to achieve.
You’ll notice an immediate difference after the first session, rejuvenating your appearance and helping you leave full of confidence and with an improved self-esteem!
The second and third sessions add further density in colour and eliminate the look of hair loss completely. We can make minor adjustments to the hairline and will spend a lot of time blending into your existing hair for the most natural look.
Please note, as the treatment heals the pigment will gradually become lighter to mimic the hair follicle and natural hair tone. During the treatment, redness may appear on the scalp for a few hours and up to a few days post treatment. This all depends on the individual.
After care is important in any clinical procedure and SMP is no different.
After your SMP treatment you must adhere to a 4 to 30-day rule. This rule has been introduced for the best results of your treatment. Without abiding by these rules, the treatment will not have the desired effect.
4 to 30 Day rule
1. Avoid washing and shaving your scalp for 5 days post treatment (day one starts the day of your treatment)
2. Avoid getting your scalp wet for 5 days. This includes protecting your scalp from the rain, water and sweat. You will need to avoid wearing wooly hats up to 10 days after your treatment. You may wear silk or cap hats.
3. Avoid swimming for 30 days after your treatment. This includes your 1st, 2nd and 3rd session. Avoid your scalp coming into contact with chlorine.
4. On day 6 after your treatment you are able to rinse your scalp with warm water. Where possible, avoid power showers, coarse scrubs, shampoos and rubbing your scalp hard. This may remove some light scabbing, if the scabs are removed the pigment may fade. You are able to briefly soak your scalp in a warm bath.
5. On day 6 after your treatment you are able to shave your head. It is advised to use a foil shaver only. Using other shavers including wet razors may cause the scalp to become agitated and cut your scalp. They will also remove a fine layer of skin from the scalp where you may need your SMP treatment to be touched up sooner.
6. On day 6 after your treatment you are able to apply moisturiser on your scalp 2-3 times a day. If it is your first treatment, continue applying moisturiser until your next session. This will make your scalp softer for the pigment on your next session. If you are adding density to your hair, you will not need to apply moisturiser.
7. On day 10 after your treatment you are able to sweat excessively and resume any exercise routines you may have.
8. On day 5 after your treatment, use a minimum of factor 30 sun cream to protect your scalp from the sun if necessary.
9. Protect your scalp from the sun before each treatment. This will make it easier for us to get the colour match perfect plus it makes the treatment more comfortable for yourself. If you do have sun burn, we will not be able to begin your treatment.
10. Most importantly for the first 5 days including the day of your treatment DO NOT exercise. This will cause your blood pressure to raise and increase the risk of you sweating from your scalp and affect the outcome of the treatment. From day 5 you are able to exercise causing minimal sweat and from day 10 you are able to sweat excessively.
For up to 30 days after your third and final session you should:
- Avoid swimming, saunas or steam rooms
- Avoid exposing your scalp to long periods in direct sun light
Three weeks after your final session has passed, your scalp will be fully healed, and all normal daily tasks can now be completed. However, we recommend that you use SPF to protect your skin when exposing it to sunlight.
It’s completely normal for your treatment to fade after your first micropigmentation session. The second and third sessions will add more density and create a fuller look. Pigment retention varies for each person and some may notice more lightening or fading that others.
In the scalp micropigmentation process, pigments are inserted into the scalp. The molecules in your body involved with hair pigmentation also control certain immune genes. In someone with an overactive immune system, the micropigmentation can fade faster than normal. At ScalPerfection, we will use the correct method and start the treatment light, building up to your correct follicle tone/hair colour. It’s important that you trust the process.
We will discuss fading and immune systems further in your consultation.
Pain relief and medications
All clients are different, some clients can experience slight discomfort during the treatment whereas others may not. Pain relief can be taken prior to the treatment, such as Paracetamol, Co-Codamol and or Ibuprofen. Where possible please refrain from using aspirin as this is used as a blood thinner and may cause bleeding. If you take aspirin due to a medical condition, please inform us and consult your GP for advice.
To produce the best results for you, we use the finest equipment specifically designed for scalp micropigmentation:
- Machine – The Spektra flux, which is the newest and best quality wireless machine on the market. It is used by the top SMP specialists around the world.
- Pigment – 5PM SHADOW, BLVK LABEL. This is the latest and most highly rated pigment on the market, used by SMP specialists around the world.
- Needles/cartridges – Bishop SMP needles. Bishop SMP needles are designed specifically for scalp procedures and are the most highly rated, sharpest needles on the market.